21 Day Junk Food Detox!
August 27, 2013 § 9 Comments
I wasn’t sure what to call this little challenge I’ve come up with for myself.
21 days of clean eating? Yeah… except that I’m still allowing myself to have coffee So this isn’t truly going to be all clean.
21 days of whole foods? Yeah… that’s getting closer. But as you’ll see I have a few small non-whole food items that are slipping through.
21 days of no junk food? Bingo!
I’m on a junk food detox – aka no processed crap.
Here’s to 21 days of eating lots of whole, local, organic, non-GMO food and:
- No processed foods – nothing from a box or bag – nothing with an ingredient list
- No gluten (been trying to eat gluten-free for about two months now so this isn’t totally new)
- No soy (to the extent that I can avoid it!)
- No dairy/meat (nothing new here)
Now, for full disclosure I do have a few exceptions to my 21 day detox:
- coconut milk creamer – to go with the aforementioned coffee that I’m still drinking. After 5 months of never sleeping more than 4 hours at a time, this is no time to give up coffee!
- almond milk – I do hope to try and make it myself during these 21 days but given that I’m so exhausted, that is unlikely to happen.
But other than the creamer and the milk I really hope to not eat anything from a package.
If you know me you’re probably saying, “but you already eat pretty clean, right?” Yes and no. I do love chips, and pasta, and ice cream (vegan of course), and the list goes on and on of many things that have a long ingredient list or are far from their whole food form. So I’m trying to get back to basics. Eating out is going to be tough – but we’ll see how it goes.
What do I hope to accomplish? I’m looking for more energy, a healthier plate at each meal, and as a bonus maybe to shed those last few post pregnancy pounds. But really more than anything, I just want to see if I can do it — and I believe I can!
Want to join me? Follow along with #21daysofclean (for the record, it sounded better than #21daysjunkfree!)
Monday – Day 1 Recap
- Breakfast - Coffee w/ coconut milk creamer & coconut milk yogurt with walnuts, chia seeds, cinnamon (OK, I know the yogurt isn’t a whole food, but I was just getting started. Cut this mama some slack )
- Morning snack - Smoothie (mango, strawberry, acai, maca, OJ, water)
- Lunch - Lentil and kale soup (a big heaping bowl of it)
- Afternoon snack - Broccoli with chili and garlic from Whole Foods (while this is a prepared item, it was all whole ingredients)
- Dinner - Quinoa with avocado, mango and kale (pictured above) – yum yum yum, recipe will be posted soon!
- Evening - Detox tea & citrus ginger cold shot (lemon, lime, ginger, cayenne, coconut oil, water to get rid of this nasty cold!)