21 Day Junk Food Detox!
August 27, 2013 § 9 Comments
I wasn’t sure what to call this little challenge I’ve come up with for myself.
21 days of clean eating? Yeah… except that I’m still allowing myself to have coffee 🙂 So this isn’t truly going to be all clean.
21 days of whole foods? Yeah… that’s getting closer. But as you’ll see I have a few small non-whole food items that are slipping through.
21 days of no junk food? Bingo!
I’m on a junk food detox – aka no processed crap.
Here’s to 21 days of eating lots of whole, local, organic, non-GMO food and:
- No processed foods – nothing from a box or bag – nothing with an ingredient list
- No gluten (been trying to eat gluten-free for about two months now so this isn’t totally new)
- No soy (to the extent that I can avoid it!)
- No dairy/meat (nothing new here)
Now, for full disclosure I do have a few exceptions to my 21 day detox:
- coconut milk creamer – to go with the aforementioned coffee that I’m still drinking. After 5 months of never sleeping more than 4 hours at a time, this is no time to give up coffee!
- almond milk – I do hope to try and make it myself during these 21 days but given that I’m so exhausted, that is unlikely to happen.
But other than the creamer and the milk I really hope to not eat anything from a package.
If you know me you’re probably saying, “but you already eat pretty clean, right?” Yes and no. I do love chips, and pasta, and ice cream (vegan of course), and the list goes on and on of many things that have a long ingredient list or are far from their whole food form. So I’m trying to get back to basics. Eating out is going to be tough – but we’ll see how it goes.
What do I hope to accomplish? I’m looking for more energy, a healthier plate at each meal, and as a bonus maybe to shed those last few post pregnancy pounds. But really more than anything, I just want to see if I can do it — and I believe I can!
Want to join me? Follow along with #21daysofclean (for the record, it sounded better than #21daysjunkfree!)
Monday – Day 1 Recap
- Breakfast – Coffee w/ coconut milk creamer & coconut milk yogurt with walnuts, chia seeds, cinnamon (OK, I know the yogurt isn’t a whole food, but I was just getting started. Cut this mama some slack 😉 )
- Morning snack – Smoothie (mango, strawberry, acai, maca, OJ, water)
- Lunch – Lentil and kale soup (a big heaping bowl of it)
- Afternoon snack – Broccoli with chili and garlic from Whole Foods (while this is a prepared item, it was all whole ingredients)
- Dinner – Quinoa with avocado, mango and kale (pictured above) – yum yum yum, recipe will be posted soon!
- Evening – Detox tea & citrus ginger cold shot (lemon, lime, ginger, cayenne, coconut oil, water to get rid of this nasty cold!)