June 29, 2014 § Leave a comment
I found out my accident that my daughter loves green smoothies. It really shouldn’t have come as a surprise with the amount of veggies she eats, but still, seeing her suck down that first green smoothie was hilarious. I treat myself to a green smoothie every time I go to Whole Foods – its how I keep my sanity while grocery shopping. On this particular day, she pointed and pointed at my smoothie and I gave her a try figuring she wouldn’t like it. She drank the WHOLE thing! Didn’t leave a drop for me and cried every time I took it away. At $7 a pop, I knew we had to come up with a way to recreate these at home.
Enter our new favorite green smoothie and so simple! This smoothie is made of apple, pineapple, and kale and is absolutely delicious.
This smoothie will only run you about $1 or $2 at home depending on your produce costs. For even more cost savings, try the following:
- Compare fresh and frozen prices and buy the cheaper. I usually buy kale fresh but recently decided to give the frozen kale a shot. It works perfectly in this smoothie and honestly might blend even better than the fresh. Not only are frozen veggies and fruits sometimes cheaper, but let’s face it, with a baby on hand they are much easier. Open the bag, drop it in, and blend. No cutting, no rinsing, no fuss!
- Buy fresh in multiples when on sale and freeze yourself. There is always some fresh fruit on sale depending on the season. Lately its been strawberries and raspberries. I used to never buy extra until a friend suggested you could freeze these which I thought was brilliant. Just rinse, prep, and freeze.
- Freeze fruit you can’t get to. Have you ever thrown away half a pineapple or an apple? Don’t! Just chop it up and freeze it for use in this smoothie. Same goes for bananas. I used to throw overripe bananas away if I didn’t have time to make banana bread but now I throw them in a bag and freeze them. They’re perfect to have on hand for smoothies. Just be sure to peel them first. I made that mistake once – oops!
Kale, Apple, & Pineapple Smoothie (aka your new favorite green smoothie!)
Makes about two small-ish smoothies perfect for you and baby to share
- 1/2 red apple
- 2 long slices pineapple (about 6-8 small chunks)
- handfull of fresh or frozen kale
- 2 cups water plus more to blend if needed
Want it sweeter? Add some more apple. Not tart enough? Add some more pineapple.